TGCA Volleyball Nomination Instructions and Guidelines
Coaches must submit nominations on-line, use official nomination forms from the bylaws on the TGCA website, or request forms to be mailed.
November 1 is the last date for volleyball coaches to become a member of the TGCA and be eligible to nominate athletes for volleyball honors. The head varsity coach of any athlete or support staff receiving an award must be a member in good standing by the membership nomination deadline. This also applies to Athlete of the Year, Coach of the Year, and All-Star Coach honors.
Monday prior to the state volleyball tournament is the deadline for on-line nominations: All-Star, Legacy All-Star, All-State, Academic All-State, Athlete of the Year, All-Star Coaches and Coach of the Year. Any nomination submitted after that time must be submitted to the regional representative for presentation to the Committee at the Committee meeting. Academic All-State nominations after the deadline shall be sent to the TGCA office.
All nomination forms must be sent to TGCA by submitting online or mailed to
All nominations received after the Committee meeting will be invalid, except Academic All-State nominations. The deadline will be rigidly enforced.
All-Star Nomination Guidelines:
1. All-Stars MUST BE INCOMING SENIORS.
2. Athletes may be nominated by any member coach in good standing of the TGCA. For an individual to be selected to an All-Star team, the head coach must be a member in good standing. The current head coach must be contacted for approval of the player being selected as an All-Star. Member coaches in good standing may nominate as many players from any school as they desire.
3. Two athletes from the same school can be named to an All-Star team. Clarification: The Volleyball Committee will have the option of selecting two athletes from one school, and one school only, per All-Star team on a yearly basis.
4. All-Stars will be selected in two divisions: 1A-2A-3A-4A and 5A-6A.
5. IMPORTANT: Prior to nomination of an athlete, coaches must confirm that nominee, if selected, can be present for the All-Star orientation and will attend all practices. Players unable to commit to this policy should not be nominated. The All-Star position is a great honor and players should be aware prior to nomination that they are committed to follow policies of the Texas Girls Coaches Association.
All-State Nomination Guidelines:
1. All-State players are NOT required to be SENIORS.
2. Coaches may submit an unlimited number of nominations for athletes they feel are deserving of this award.
3. There shall be no limits on the number of players from a school that can be selected for All-State.
The Following Guidelines Apply to Both All-Star and All-State Nominations:
1. No nominations will be accepted by telephone.
2. Players must be nominated in only one of the following positions: Defensive Specialist, Outside Hitter, Middle Blocker, or Setter.
3. All nominations must be typed, printed or submitted on-line.
1. Academic All-State athletes and members of the
support staff for that sport MUST BE
2. Must have an overall GPA average of 94 or above for grades 9-11. Do NOT submit a nomination if your athlete or support staff member does not meet this GPA requirement. ALL NOMINATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ON A GRADE SCALE AND NOT A POINT SCALE; i.e., 94 versus 4.0. Nominations will not be accepted if submitted on a point scale. Ten (10) points may be added for weighted classes.
3. Must be a varsity participant or a member of the
support staff for that sport in good
4. Be of good moral character.
The standing committees for cross country, volleyball, cheerleading, basketball, track & field
and softball will review submitted nominations from their region and division
for the Legacy All-Star team selections. The selections will be made from player
nominations submitted to TGCA by member coaches on or before the Monday
noon prior to the state tournament or meet of the particular sport. Selections will
be based on the following criteria:
1. The nominated players must be graduating seniors.
2. The Standing Committee will select the best twenty (20) nominees in the particular
sport in 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A and the best twenty (20) nominees in the particular sport in 5A, 6A.
3. The high school head varsity coach must be a member of TGCA in good standing
before November 1st of that school year before the school is eligible to have an All-Star(s).
4. A coach may nominate as many of graduating senior players from any school as desired.
5. The TGCA Legacy All-Star team members in each sport will receive a certificate from
the TGCA recognizing their achievement of being named to the team. There will be no
All-Star game for these teams.
Revised by vote of the Board of Directors on June 2, 2013.
Revised by vote of the Board of Directors on June 1, 2014.
Revised by vote of the membership at the annual business meeting on July 10, 2014.
Revised by vote of the membership at the annual business meeting July 16, 2015.
Revised by vote of the Board of Directors on June 4, 2017.